The world is a place for everyone to fit in and it is our responsibility to make everyone feel confident and comfortable in it. The visually impaired face a lot of challenges every day because of which they are sometimes forced to stay inside or can only go out under the supervision of someone else. This leads to a lack of confidence and a feeling of helplessness in them. However, there are a few ways by which we can help a lot of visually impaired individuals feel independent. One of the most important ways is designing future infrastructure and modification of present infrastructure in a way that suits the visually impaired.
People who are visually impaired start to use their other senses more strongly, especially their touch and hearing. They rely on these heavily while moving to avoid accidents. One of the ways by which sound can be used effectively are
- Using it as alarms in places like crossing roads
- Create spaces that reduce echoes as it creates confusion for the visually impaired and troubles them in finding the location from where the sound is coming.
This helps a lot of people who are not completely blind. The difference in color helps them recognize things. For example, sidewalk and a curb can be differentiated by adding a bright yellow line to the edges of the curb. Use tactile paving to indicate a change between areas designated for pedestrians and bikes.
Stairways and Elevators
Use sound which announces each floor when it arrives there. Also, use braille on the buttons to help the visually impaired choose the floor.
Special care needs to be taken while designing stairways as it can lead to fatal injuries.
- Display tactile and visual signals around stairways.
- Railings on all the staircase should be a must to support the visually impaired ? Use contrast to mark the edge of steps
All the necessary precautions need to be taken while designing walkways.
- Use railings
- Try to make walkways as straight as possible, Many turns in the walkways cause a lot of frustrations for the visually impaired.
- Avoid objects in the walkways such as waste bins right in the center of the walkways, or trees and plants in the middle to avoid the collision. ? Use the important tactile ground surface indicators
Using the above steps to design future buildings, houses, roads, and walkways can make a major difference in many lives. Also, efforts need to be made to modify the present infrastructure to cater to the needs of all.